February 1, 2018 by Patrick Nuss
Check out the club’s first newsletter issue of 2018!
October 29, 2017 by Ing Uhlin
This is the PRELIMINARY schedule for Ultimate Orienteer 2018. (Click on the title and go to the post for a list that is easier to read.)
Please note that there may be changes in dates or locations.
2018 Ultimate Orienteer Series
- March 10 – Night-O, Hamlin Park, Shoreline
- March 31 – Score-O, Pt Defiance Park, Tacoma
- April 14 – 1-person relay (Farsta), Wilburton Hill, Bellevue
- May 12 – Classic, Fishtrap Lake
- May 13 – Classic, Fishtrap Lake
- June 9 – Middle (Lick Creek vicinity)
- June 10 – Goat, Salmon La Sac
- and 9. June 16-17 – Pig War events organized by GVOC
October 16, 2017 by Bob Forgrave
One of our most popular, family-friendly events, this is making its first appearance at Robinswood Park in Bellevue, Saturday, October 28. For timing and other info, see the event page.
You have 24 checkpoints to find, at dusk and beyond. You have a map, a flashlight…and “vampires” in the park! An orienteering vampire is someone with an official red flashlight who can swap your progress card for that flashlight—and you become the vampire, looking for someone fast!
June 21, 2017 by Rebecca Jensen
While summer has just begun, we’re already thinking about the upcoming Winter season! The 2017-18 dates and locations have been set:
– November 4 @ Magnuson Park, Seattle
– November 18 @ North SeaTac Park, Seattle
– December 2 @ St. Edward State Park, Kenmore
– December 16 @ Bridle Trails State Park, Kirkland
– January 6 @ Putney Woods, Whidbey Island
– January 20 @ Lincoln Tree Farm, Spanaway
– February 3 @ Green River College, Auburn
– February 17 @ Fire Mountain, Mt. Vernon
– February 18, extra relay @ TBD
June 6, 2017 by Rebecca Jensen
Three northwest orienteering clubs have joined together to put on 9 events in 9 days, for one memorable orienteering road trip for those who complete it all! The northwest tour begins in Central Washington with events by CascadeOC on June 17 and 18, travels through Sprague and eastward to Spokane for events by Eastern Washington Orienteering Club June 19-21, then finishes in Idaho with events on June 23-25 by City of Trees Orienteering Club, which include the US Orienteering Championships! Whew! Together, these events create the Pacific Northwest Orienteering Festival, and an amazing orienteering vacation.
Sat, June 17 – Middle @ Moses Lake Sand Dunes in Moses Lake, WA – CascadeOC
Sun, June 18 – Goat @ Fishtrap Lake in Sprague, WA – EWOC
EWOC events information
Mon, June 19 – Sprint #1 @ Riverside State Park in Spokane, WA – EWOC
Mon, June 19 – Sprint #1 @ Riverside State Park in Spokane, WA – EWOC
Tue, June 20 – Classic @ Riverside State Park in Spokane, WA – EWOC
Wed, June 21 – Score-O @ Liberty Lake Regional Park in Spokane, WA – EWOC
Thu, June 22 – a day off!
CTOC events information
Fri, June 23 – Sprint @ Boise State University in Boise, ID – CTOC
Sat, June 24 – Long @ Trap Creek in Stanley, ID – CTOC
Sun, June 25 – Middle @ Dutch Lake in Stanley, ID – CTOC
Featured image from CTOC
March 17, 2017 by Bob Forgrave
Calendar, Event, Events
Events will appear over time on our home page throughout the year, but here in one place is our entire year’s listing of Cascade events. Print it, share it, and get your friends involved in these four great event series:
- Ultimate Series: The best Washington terrain for navigation events, sometimes with a road trip.
- Wednesday Evening Series: Laid back navigation events at local parks, finishing with a barbecue.
- Choose Your Adventure Series: Mass start, any order–our most social navigation events.
- Winter Orienteering Series: Our biggest events, including the school orienteering league.
Plus the Seattle Adventure Running Tournament in September and the notoriously difficult Bog Slog in December.
See the attached flyer for dates!
March 16, 2017 by Bob Forgrave
Who we are:
If you like being outside and exploring nature, then orienteering is the sport for you. Using just a map, a compass, and keen observation, participants navigate through a course of pre-set checkpoints in a park. Along the way, participants develop better navigational skills, greater leadership confidence, and a deeper appreciation for the outdoors. Orienteering is a family-friendly activity, fun for all ages and for everyone from hikers to competitive runners.
Cascade Orienteering Club is one of the largest orienteering organizations in the country, with 30 events/year and a strong volunteer staff both for planning events and helping to run them once they start. As Cascade Orienteering Club Event Director, you will make three important contributions to successful and enjoyable orienteering events:
- Get club equipment (canopies, signs, tables and chairs) reliably to and from each venue.
- Help the volunteers get started in their various operational roles, offering role guidance as needed.
- Be the central point of contact for any logistical or safety issues that may arise.
Commitment & Payment:
Cascade events run throughout the year and are organized into four series of events, mostly on Saturdays. Each event series has a volunteer series director who plans them, but still needs an event director to perform the above three roles. Stipends are offered by series, at levels reflecting the amount of time and effort required:
- Wednesday Evening Series (May-Aug): 4 small events, $500
- Choose Your Adventure Series (Jul-Oct): 6 medium events, $1,000
- Winter O’ Series + Student League (Nov-Feb): 8-9 Large events, $2,000
- Ultimate O’ Series: (Mar-Jun): 5 medium events, $1,000
You can choose to direct just one series or combine them for a total of $4,500 for occasional weekend work. We only ask that you let us know in advance and be dedicated to the role for those series where you have committed to event direct. Being an event director requires some preparation the day before, a half or full day (depending upon the event size/location) during the event, and one or two small tasks the next day.
- Good driving record, with insurance
- Attention to detail about what equipment is needed and its condition and proper usage
- Ability to work with people and provide positive guidance
- Ability to anticipate and make logistical decisions
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs
- Access to a computer, a printer, and e-mail
- Access to a rental van for your repeat use
- Introductory training about the event director role, including a step-by-step checklist of the actions needed and an event director book covering all the volunteer roles.
- Access to a series director for coordination, publicity, planning, guidance, and backup as needed
- Automatic, electronic sign-up of volunteers in most or all of the logistical roles, including event set-up and tear-down.
For upcoming event dates, see our event calendar (with events listed as COC in the far right column). To apply for this part-time position, please contact Cascade Orienteering Club president Bob Forgrave.
February 17, 2017 by Patrick Nuss
We’re ordering custom jerseys and jackets now through April 8, 2017, with delivery by June!
We’re keeping our popular and distinctive red and black designs, and this year, we’re using a new supplier, Champion System, which you can explore at www.champ-sys.com. They are not an orienteering-specific supplier, but they have a lot of options, including men’s and women’s styles, jackets, singlets, long-sleeves, and budget options (as low as $30 for a club jersey!). We’ve heard good things about them.
To order, please use this ordering form.
If you have any questions or comments, please send to patricknuss at hotmail. Thanks!
(Note: most have separate files for men’s and women’s but some have both charts in the same file)
Basic Short Sleeve Jerseys, lightweight or standard-weight: Men’s and Women’s
Short Sleeve Jersey, lightest-weight with mesh panels: Men’s and Women’s
Short Sleeve Jersey, with quarter-zip front and zipper back pocket: Men’s and Women’s
Basic Long Sleeve Jerseys, lightweight or standard-weight: Men’s and Women’s
Long Sleeve Jersey with mesh back: Men’s & Women’s
(Note: this garment was originally designed for mountain biking, so it fits looser)
Long Sleeve Fleece with quarter-zip: Men’s
(Note: this garment was originally designed for XC skiing, so it fits tighter)
Singlet: Men’s and Women’s
Running Jacket: Men’s & Women’s
January 6, 2017 by Ing Uhlin
Registration is now open for the Ultimate Orienteer 2017 season. Registration is here.
December 9, 2016 by Ing Uhlin
This is the preliminary schedule for Ultimate Orienteer 2017 for those who would like to pencil it into their calendars. There may be changes. Read more here.
Feb 25 – Frenchman Coulee (by Vantage/Quincy), Middle
Feb 26 – Frenchman Coulee, Long
Mar 11 – Luther Burbank, Night-O
Apr 8 – N. Seattle College, Sprint/Relay
May 13 – Lick Creek, Classic
May 14 – Teanaway Forks, Score-O
Jun 17 – Moses Lake, Middle
Jun 18 – Fishtrap, Goat